Saturday, June 22, 2013

Chicken and Avocado

Oh, my - it has been a long while since I've posted!  I promise, I do cook much more than I post - although it seems I get in a rut. So, I look for new recipes, and ran across one I adapted a bit to fit an old one I had almost forgotten.

Years ago I attended a donors luncheon at a university in Oklahoma.  No need to use the name -- it's changed over the years. The entree was baked chicken breast, avocado slices, tomato slice and a slice of cheese that covered it all. Unfortunately, the chicken was not done. Cutting into it spoiled what was an awesome presentation. This recipe might do better and still be that awesome presentation and flavor combination. It's our adaptation of one posted (updated 4/23/2018 - website no longer available.)  These instructions are for two - just adjust for additional servings.

Ingredients
1 teaspoon olive oil - and I have used margarine
2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon garlic granules
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/4 cup chicken broth
1/2 avocado, sliced
1 tomato, sliced
2 slices of Swiss cheese (or mozzarella or your favorite)

Instructions
Heat oven to 350.
Heat oil in a medium skillet.
Add chicken to the pan and sprinkle with onion powder, garlic granules, salt and pepper.
Cook for 3 minutes on each side.
Add chicken broth, cover the pan and cook for another 5 minutes, careful not to brown deeply.
Transfer chicken to a greased baking dish and top each breast with avocado, tomato and cheese slices.
Bake until cheese is melted and chicken is done.
Serve immediately with side salad and vegetable of your choice. (Janet Wilson's carrots would be good.)

1 comment: