Sunday, March 31, 2013

Hot Carrot / Onion / Jalapeno Appetizer

No, that's not the dish - but I couldn't find a photo and thought these sliced carrots would do. Years ago we used to lunch at El Chico's on a regular basis and I really like the marinated carrots served along with warm flour tortillas.  Those carrots weren't alone - jalapenos and onions were there, too, but I like the carrots best. Recently I had lunch there again - and decided fixing some for ourselves would be fairly easy. Several possibilities exist on the web, but this works for me:

1 jar of jalapenos with juice
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
3 tablespoons white vinegar
1 bag frozen wavy sliced carrots - or slice fresh ones, about the size in the photo.
1 small onion chopped in large pieces

Combine all the ingredients and store in the refrigerator for at least 24 hours before using.

Adjust the heat by the number of jalapeno peppers left in the liquid - more = hotter; less = milder.

I like it best with fewer jalapenos, mostly carrots, placed in a warm flour tortilla smeared with a small pat of butter. The butter helps cut the heat, too, and the flavor prepares us for the next dish!

No comments:

Post a Comment