Monday, June 14, 2010

Simple Corn Casserole

I get recipes from several sources each day. Most are out of my taste range, having lived with Beloved Husband’s meat-potatoes-gravy non-cuisine for 49 years. But – every once in a while, one I’ve been looking for comes in. Today it was from Campbell’s Soup.

And, it’s one I’ve been looking for over the past two weeks. A variation of this was served at Sheridan Road Methodist Church for the family before a funeral. For those of us who love corn, it was simply delicious. Creamy delicious. Sweetly delicious.

It did not, however, have Parmesan cheese and French friend onions – as the recipe I received today included.

The received ingredients were:

1 can (10 3/4 ounces) Campbell's® Condensed Cream of Chicken Soup
1/2 cup milk
2 eggs
1 can (about 16 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
1 package (about 8 ounces) corn muffin mix
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 can (2.8 ounces) French fried onions (about 1 1/3 cups)

I did follow the directions to beat the soup, milk and eggs in a medium bowl. I did add corn, the corn muffin mix and combined them with the soup mixture.

Knowing Beloved Husband’s taste – and not having tasted them in the Tulsa casserole, I omitted the cheese, and onions. I did pour the soup mixture into my 1 1/2-quart Corning Ware casserole. And baked at 350°F. for 30 minutes to set the mixture. It actually took another ten minutes to have the middle unjiggly and a cake tester come out clean.

If you want to try it as sent by Campbell’s, include the Parmesan cheese in the mixture along with 2/3 cup of the fried onions. After the 30 minutes, remove the casserole and top with the remaining onions. Bake for an additional 5 minutes or until the onions are golden brown.

Knowing how much I like flexible recipes – think about how this one can be changed. Change the cheese and you’ll change the flavor. How about Monterey Jack, pepper Jack? Why not add a bit of green chilis for a southwest flavor? This can be done with creamed corn, but lacks a bit without whole kernels and bakes longer to set.

If you don’t like corn – forget this one!!!

2 comments:

  1. Yumyumyum that sure sound good, thanks for the recipe, hugs Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  2. you are invited to follow my blog

    ReplyDelete