Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Beef Stir Fry w/ Peanut Butter

This is a different style from our usual, but it sounded good and I had the ingredients. Beloved Husband responded with "OK" when I asked if he would like to try a new recipe. No, I did not mention the peanut butter. The original recipe came from Allrecipes.com's "Peanut Beef Stir-Fry" but only peanut butter is used. I intend to experiment more with this recipe, using cashew butter, maybe even adding some cashews (if I can rescue them from BH) but if I do that it will be so similar to Cashew Chicken at a local Thai restaurant that I'd have to change the beef into chicken breast.

Again, this appears to be a very flexible recipe!! And, again, we ate without photos. I actually thought about it, but it cooks so quickly and is so very good hot that I just didn't slow down for the camera.

Ingredients (to serve only two -- check Allrecipes for calculating larger groups)

2 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
1 cup beef broth (used used beef granules and water)
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 tablespoon creamy peanut butter
1/4 teaspoon sugar
dash of pepper

1/2 pound lean sirloin steak, thinly sliced against grain
1/2 cup sliced onion
1/2 cup thinly sliced celery
one clove garlic, pressed
1 tablespoon vegetable oil.

Instructions

I used a two-cup measuring cup to combine the first six ingredients until smooth. Set aside, stirring every once in a while to keep mixture smooth.

In a wok, or large skillet, heat the oil then stir-fry the beef, onion, celery and garlic for just a few minutes -- until meet is no longer pink. Do not overcook.

Stir the broth mixture again and add to the stir-fry. Bring to a boil, stirring and cook for a couple of minutes until broth thickens.

I served with rice, but this would be good with noodles, too. BH didn't even notice that there was peanut butter flavoring, he just thought it was very, very good. And, so did I. I'll update this as we experiment with variations -- maybe I can even get photos!!

No comments:

Post a Comment