Thursday, June 10, 2010

Chocolate Cake -- Moist!!

Having previously impressed our domino group with the moist spice cake and RCCL's flourless chocolate cake, I looked for a way to combine moistness with chocolate and ran across Diana's Desserts and her Rich Chocolate Bundt Cake.

After reading the comments, I was ready for the thin batter (but it wasn't too thin, unless one was thinking pound cake.) For tonight I did not include the accompanying whipped cream nor raspberries, just lightly shaking a bit of powdered sugar through stencils. So, you'll need to check Diana's site for those recipes (and it's worth taking the time to do so.)

Still, here's the cake recipe:

Dry Ingredients:
2 cups granulated sugar
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt

Liquid Ingredients:
2 large eggs
1 cup whole milk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 cup. boiling water

The instructions are simple and the cake goes together easily.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 C).
Grease and flour a 10-inch bundt or tube pan.
Combine all dry ingredients in a large bowl of an electric mixer. [I didn't get out the big mixer for this. I combined the dry ingredients using a large spoon, making certain it was an even color and all the sugar/flour didn't stand out.]

Add the liquid ingredients (except for the boiling water), and beat on medium speed for 2 minutes. [Just a hand mixer works well -- but don't cut down on the mixing time, and don't think it's too thick.]

Stir in boiling water. [Now don't worry about it being too thin!! Comments on Diana's site mentioned that. Fortunately most decided to leave as is -- good thing.]

Pour batter into prepared pan and bake in preheated oven for 50-55 minutes or until a cake tester inserted in cake comes out clean. [Don't be tempted to add chocolate bits. One lady who commented on Diana's site did, and it turned out badly -- they sank and melted.]

Remove cake from oven and let cool in pan for 10 minutes, then invert cake onto wire rack and let cool completely.

I eventually sprinkled mine with powdered sugar, and decided then to purchase a spoon sieve to use with plastic patterns.

3 comments:

  1. Now that really looks good. My downfall is chocolate.... I really enjoyed reading the posts on your blog. I would like to invite you to come over to my blog and check it out. God bless, Lloyd

    ReplyDelete
  2. Who can resist a chocolate cake??? I'm going to try this one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have tried this cake and now use it exclusively for my chocolate cake! I make layers cakes or a sheet cake with it. It's the best we've had.

    ReplyDelete