Friday, January 13, 2023

A Rueben Sandwich Casserole

 Once again, I didn't get the picture taken. I did so want to try this recipe, but thought there would be too much for a couple of people to eat quickly. A good spot to test a new recipe is taking the finished product (assuming it passes your taste test a bit before serving your testers - and be open that it is a new recipe!) to a covered dish church function. That makes for a wonderful test group.

As much as I love Reuben sandwiches, this recipe did lack a bit in convincing me it will be delicious, but I had to try it! Took to a church Ladies Meeting 1/9/23 - sent requested recipe via Pepperplate to three people! Yes, they liked it. It was cut down the middle, then in about 3"slices so there were many testers. 

I used my 10"x10" Corning Ware dish - half a crescent roll barely fit the bottom and top. Because a couple of people did not like TI dressing, none was used this time around. Yet the dish was emptied. I don't recall the brand of sauerkraut, but it was 32 oz in a glass jar. We had used half of it before, and I'd use a bit more than half next I make this Rueben casserole. Caraway seeds were not used this time. This recipe comes from:

"Feminologie is here to help you cook delicious meals with less stress and more joy. We offer recipes and cooking advice for home cooks, by home cooks. Helping create “kitchen wins” is what we’re all about."

INGREDIENTS:

  • 1 tube Crescent rolls
  • 8 to 10 slices Swiss Cheese
  • 3/4 pound sliced deli corned beef
  • 1/2 cup Thousand Island salad dressing
  • 1 (14oz) can sauerkraut drained
  • 1 large egg white lightly beaten
  • 1/2 teaspoon Caraway Seeds (optional)

INSTRUCTIONS:

  1. Preheat oven to 375.
  2. Unroll one tube of crescent roll dough and place half in a baking dish that has been lightly greased. Seal perforations.
  3. Bake for approximately 8-10 minutes until golden brown.
  4. After the bottom dough has baked, remove from oven.
  5. Layer half of the cheese on top of the baked crescent rolls.
  6. Next layer all of the corned beef.
  7. Combine the sauerkraut and Thousand Island Dressing together.
  8. Spread the sauerkraut over the corned beef.
  9. Place the remaining cheese over the top of the sauerkraut.
  10. Place the remaining half of the crescent roll dough on top of the last cheese layer. Carefully seal the perforations.
  11. Brush with the egg white and sprinkle with the caraway seeds.
  12. Bake for 12-16 minutes until the crust is golden brown.
  13. Let stand for 5 minutes before cutting.    
I know I'll be making it again, and promise that when I do I will take a photo in my Corning Ware dish so you can judge the size of the servings. If you do like Rueben sandwiches, this is a nice dish. If you love Ruebens as I do, there needs to be a bit more adjustments. I'm thinking of a marbled rye in some method - probably will wait a while for my own "test kitchen group" tries other people's dishes before taking another so different from "covered dish luncheons."

No comments:

Post a Comment