Thursday, March 8, 2018

Baked Eggs and Shirred Eggs



Aren’t over-easy eggs pretty? Did you notice that they are baked? Of course, not – you can’t tell from this photo. You can’t tell, either, that the whites are completely done and the yolk has started to firm.

I assure you, they are delicious. Not these three, but the ones we’ve done and I’ve forgotten to take photos. So I captured this particular shot from a YouTube video about baking eggs.

The way we’ve done it – for the two of us – takes a metal pie pan, some oil to cover the bottom of the pie pan. Place the pan in a 415 pre-heated oven while opening four eggs and placing them in a two-cup measuring cup. I wish I could be specific about the time the pan is left in the oven, but I don’t remember specifically – just that it and the oil is hot and ready for the eggs. Carefully remove pan, carefully pour the eggs into the pan, return pie pan to oven for five minutes. This will have the eggs done and the yolks over-easy flowing.

I’m certain there are variations on heat/time – but there are tons of variations on adding milk for shirring, fresh herbs and/or spices for your specific tastes. Speaking of shirred eggs, the link has a lot more information, that includes this paragraph:

Traditionally, shirred eggs are eggs cracked in a dish, topped with a splash of cream and a little parmesan and then baked until the whites are firm and the yolks are still a bit soft. I've enjoyed them over roasted carrots and leeks, mushrooms, sautéed spinach with a dollop of ricotta on top, chorizo and roasted sweet potato with a sprinkle of cotija, and so on. All equally delicious. To get started for yourself, all you need is a few eggs, a splash of cream, and a little cheese of your choosing for a base. After that, how you personalize your shirred eggs is up to you. Note: Use a flat baking dish, instead of a high sided or deep dish, to ensure the eggs cook evenly. I used a small cast-iron casserole dish

Eggs can also be baked in hash, hash-browned potatoes, stewed tomatoes, spinach and if I keep writing variations we’ll have a book!

Ours slide out nicely out of the pan, after running a spatula across the middle, separating into two servings. They fit comfortably along the curve of our breakfast plates, with plenty of room for meat and toast on the other side of the plate. Don’t you wish I’d get those photos done so I wouldn’t have to write so much!!

The point is – the eggs are on the table for everyone to sit down to the meal at the same time (as long as they like their eggs the same way) without leaving the cook eating last. Larger pan, more eggs, more plates, still eating hot food with the cook.

Yes – this was our meal last night, and I promise to edit this with personal photos if I can remember it next time. Until then, feel free to sent me your photos!

No comments:

Post a Comment