Sunday, July 8, 2012

Soy Balsamic Slow Cooker Chicken

Remember that smaller (two quart) crockpot I got for the Hot Corn Dip? I put it to good use today with a recipe I found on Pinterest.  I can't remember where I found it, but linked eventually to the recipe on Kiss My Wisk. The recipe below is from there, without changes -- though changes were made today that I'll discuss after the recipe.  I love flexible recipes!!! Sorry, again, the photo will have to wait until next time - and there will be a next time. Here's the original recipe with the cook's notes (mine below):
2 to 3 lbs bone in chicken, I used a combination of drumsticks and breasts
1 whole onion, sliced into rings
3/4 cup low sodium soy sauce
1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
2 bay leaves
5 cloves garlic, smashed
1 to 2 tablespoons peppercorn, cracked (or just use 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper if you are in a rush)
1 tablespoon brown sugar
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1/3 cup chicken broth
chives
rice
Place chicken and onion in slow cooker.
Pour soy sauce, balsamic vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, bay leaves, garlic, and peppercorn into into slow cooker and stir around, coating chicken.
Add brown sugar, cornstarch, and chicken broth and stir again.
Cook on low for 5-6 hours, break and shred chicken up a bit (a potato masher works really well for this).
Serve over rice and garnish with chives.
OK -- changes:  I don't 'do' much bone-in chicken.  We are more skinless breast or thighs, unless I'm roasting a whole one. In this instance, I was only fixing for two, so used four skinless thighs.

Beloved Husband isn't much for onions showing much in his food.  I had some chopped onions left from Thursday night, so I used those.

I had to adjust the amount of other ingredients to match (well, somewhat closely) the proportions -- except for the bay leaf (used a whole one.)

Didn't have any chicken broth (did put that on the grocery list -- don't know how that happened!) so I used the dry and added some water.

I did miss on the cornstarch - there just wasn't enough to thicken, so when we got home from church and I put the rice on to cook I added a bit more cornstarch and it really helped the consistency in serving over rice.

BH said to keep the recipe, we would be using it again!!  Oh -- and I think it would go good over Chinese noodles or regular egg noodles.

An update: I did this on 7/8 and again on 7/15 -- again with a couple of changes.  Beloved Husband was in the hospital and I had two chicken breasts that must be cooked. So -- I added sliced onions this time, along with some sliced carrots and celery. I cut the breasts into bite-size pieces, adjusted the liquids down for only two servings, set the crockpot for an hour on high, then four on low. Served this time over Chinese noodles instead of rice and liked it just as well as before.  This is flexible, delicious and definitely a keeper.

Sorry again -- still no photo!!

No comments:

Post a Comment