Tuesday, July 21, 2026

Salt Free - But We Miss It So Much - Seasoning

 


Yes - we have tasty food on my cabinet (along with a bunch of fabric. Hmmm. Should have noticed that.) Both watermelon and tomatoes flavors are enhanced with a touch of salt - at least that's the way I see it.

Upteen years ago I knew a child who didn't like watermelon, with or without salt! And several people I know today see tomatoes only as acid carriers. To me, both of these little red guys were awesome with some salt. As the body ages, salt can become a problem. I was retaining too much fluid, so along with Furosemide tablets, my doctor (as much as possible) removed salt from my diet.

That changed a lot of what I enjoy when I eat!

Poached eggs, not even poached in their neat little pockets with salted butter! Now it's unsalted butter or simply moving hot water. Since Beloved Husband does almost all of the breakfast cooking and loves butter, too, we get them in butter. If I were poaching, it would be swirling hot water - faster and easier for me, but he loves to cook.

To make up for my lack of salt - which causes long beseeching looks as he salts his eggs - he and I came up with a mixture that helps eggs (especially egg whites) have some taste:

1/2 tablespooon black pepper
1/2 tablespoon red pepper
1/2 tablespoon garlic powder
1/2 tablespoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon paprika
2 shakes of dried parsley
2 shakes of ground oregano

That is mixed in a small bowl, then funneled into a shaker and stays by my spot on the table. I use it on breakfast with eggs - usually poached but sometimes scrambled. Love it with a scrambled egg on a sandwich, and anything else that needs flavoring.

Beloved Husband does so much of the cooking, and it is part of his marvelous caregiving that I don't have to question what he fixes when it comes to following doctor's orders. A little salt is necessary, and we do get some in every prepared food we purchase. We just don't add any more.



No comments:

Post a Comment