Monday, June 5, 2023

How Do You See Recipes?

 



From Washington Post's Eat Voraciously 5/30/23


I've been reading over some of my own recipes, and the majority of my posted recipes do not meet this Cheat Sheet. And, I probably won't get much better in posting multiple formats - I really do not have time. Plus, since I've not monetized and added sponsors, I don't get many people stopping by, but among those who do are cooks who write their own recipes - at times by rewriting another person's. I do often.

I only have a couplt of recipes where there are measurements in multiple formats - and usually those are ones that come in another format and I've added what I'm used to measuring.

Only a couple of recipes explain why as well as the result of changing cooking times.

I am very remiss about explaining why ingredients are added in they order they are, yet that can be very important to the chemical process that does define how well using another person's recipe turns out awful instead of awesome. My apologies.

Now, when it comes to explanations - I have been wordy on a lot of them. If there is an outside context, I will include a link. However, most of the wordiness includes specifics for when and why that particular dish was chosen or acquired. I am really more interested in family history and why we like the dish that cultural background. Probably because I don't choose recipes from a specific culture.

Leftovers? We heat and eat them. Within one or two days. We've even had three meals in a row with some recipes. Therefore, I don't have much advice. If no one eats a leftover test case, I seldom mention that we threw it out after a couple of bites.

Seriously, though, it is a good idea to think of the people who might be using the recipe in the future, and follow the Washington Post's suggestions from Eat Voraciously. There recipes are well written - just the majority of them are not currently part of my culture.

When you make another's recipe your own with specific changes - do acknowledge the source, and explain what you changed and why. It really may affect the chemistry!

Enjoy the changes - they do make the recipe your family's, and when you match their tastes with something new/different, it's to be appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment