Monday, March 21, 2022

Blue Cheese Dressing

 

I've "borrowed" and edited from a site because I neglected to take a photo. This will be updated and the photo removed.

Blue cheese isn't a dressing I'd ask for every time - but I love it with fruit. I've been eating more salads, and have fruit on hand. One evening last week I wanted blue cheese to go with the fruit I had added to a salad. I had no such dressing, but I had some good blue cheese. So I googled for recipes and found several that sounded good. Checking to see what I had on hand, I chose a couple, combined - and deleted - a couple of items, and came up with:

1 cup mayonnaise (I use Miracle Whip, not mayo, at home - will change the taste)

3 oz crumbled blue cheese, divided in half to mix and half (or a bit more*) before serving

1/2 cup half and half (or buttermilk, whole milk - I had 2% on hand, so I added a tiny bit of melted butter)

2 tablespoons sour cream (I suggest not using the light, for richness)

1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice (all I had was bottled, fresh would be better)

1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce

1/2 teaspoon kosher salt (I omitted any salt - MW has some of its own, so does Worcestershire)

(I added a “sprinkle” of garlic powder)

Freshly ground black pepper (I ommitted - personal preference)

Oh - I only needed enough for my salad, didn't want to save any, so the recipe was worked in spoonfuls and "dashes", not cups. The full recipe will give you about 2.25 cups and will keep up to five days, according to all the recipes I read. Here is how I put my spoonfuls and bits together:

I put the Miracle Whip and sour cream together first, then the rest, and mixed them well, breaking up and mashing the blue cheese. 

Then added the milk next to last, to get the right amount to adjust creaminess. If you get it too thin, add some Miracle Whip or sour cream, depending on your desired taste.

*Finally, the last of the blue cheese, and I like lots of crumbles, so lots were added!

Yes - Blue Cheese dressing really is adaptable! And was delicious with my mixed greens and fruit salad.

No comments:

Post a Comment