Thursday, April 11, 2019

Amish Country Casserole


I know, I just can't get it together to get pictures. I promise I'm giving credit where it is due - click on the graphic and you'll see the original page - well worth reading! As usual, changes were made for personal tastes, and this still turned out to be a keeper. Easy to make with items usually on hand and an adjustable recipe - my favorites! I wrote in my Pepperplate:
I need to translate to cups/etc. But I've fixed this several times and the rotini sure adds to the flavor, capturing sauce in its swirls. I suggest doing a pound and half of ground beef along with a box of rotini - and add liquid (milk or water) to match the soupy look in the picture. This one is a keeper for Papa. Trying to find out why this was called "Amish", I ran across "Yumasetta" or "Yumasetti", also "Amish Casserole", with noodles and cheese - but still with the tomato and chicken soups, and added Worcestershire sauce. A few variations and we've made a couple of our own.
INGREDIENTS
500 g Pasta - rotini
1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
1 Large Onion, chopped
750 g Lean Ground Beef (we used a pound and a half for the full rotini package)
1 can (410g) Tomato Soup
1 can (410g) Mushroom Soup (I've used Cream of Chicken and Herbs - great!)
1 cup Milk
Salt and Black Pepper, to taste
1/2 t Paprika
1/2 t Dried Parsley
On the original page, the cook added cooked mushrooms. That's a non-starter for Beloved Husband, but I think it would be great no matter which "cream of" soup is used. We do prefer the extra flavor in the herbed and keep a couple on hand. The pasta should have wrinkles and bumps to help the sauce cling to it. Rotini is good, but shells or a mixture would be too. Now, putting it together:

INSTRUCTIONS

  1. Pre-heat the oven to 180 deg C (350 deg F) - spray a large oven dish with cooking spray.
  2. Cook the Pasta, in a large pot, as per the instructions on the packet.
  3. Meanwhile, saute the Onion in the Olive Oil until soft - add the Ground Beef and cook until done.
  4. As soon as the Pasta is done - drain and return to the pot.
  5. Add the cooked Meat, Tomato & Mushroom Soups and Milk to the Pasta, stir throughly, season to taste with Salt & Pepper.
  6. Transfer to the prepared oven dish, sprinkle with Paprika and Parsley, bake 25 - 30 minutes.
  7. Serve with a salad or a side dish.

No comments:

Post a Comment