Sunday, December 22, 2013

Quick Delmonico Potato Casserole

I seem to be unable to take my photos as soon as these dishes come out of the oven. At that point, my only concern is getting them into the car for a ten-minute drive to our 42 game night so they'll still be hot and bubbly. Especially something as delicious as this potato casserole.

I've found similar online with grated potatoes, but this one is really quick and easy, and so very flavorful. I think it has the makings for being a very flexible dish and as I make a change or two, I'll post the results. This time I followed my friend Shirley's recipe:

Potatoes 
1 32-ounce package frozen hash browns, thawed
1 can cream of chicken soup (low sodium suggested)
1 cup sour cream
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (sharp suggested)
1/2 cup butter or margarine, melted
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
1 medium onion, diced

Topping 
2 cups corn flakes, crushed (not too fine)
1/4 cup butter or margarine, melted

Now, we put all of this together:

Potatoes
Grease a 9x13 baking dish.
Preheat oven to 350
Combine Potatoes ingredients, mixing well, then spoon into the baking dish.  I did put the thawed potatoes in last.

Topping
Combine corn flakes and melted butter.
Sprinkle over potatoes
Bake 45 minutes, or until bubbly

How much easier can you get? I must admit to a couple of changes already - I was out of cream of chicken soup, so I used cream of chicken and mushroom. All I had on hand was light sour cream. Mine was deliciously creamy, but not quite as creamy as Shirley's when she brought it. This time, too, the cornflakes were a bit crunchier - perhaps she watched it more closely and didn't complete the full 45 minutes, we're not certain. We were certain that this was delicious!

Of course, we made more than one dish - even though this recipe will feed 12, and we're a group that has to watch carbs, this is a "More, please," comfort food.

3 comments:

  1. I never buy Cream of Chicken soup since I discovered the recipe http://www.livingonadime.com/homemade-cream-of-chicken-soup/. It provides the option of using cornstarch or flour. I use the cornstarch to make it gluten free for my granddaughter. I make a double batch and always have it ready to use.

    Want Cream of Mushroom? Add a small can of mushrooms and a bit of butter. Use the juice as part of the required liquid and chop the mushrooms fine. Add butter to taste.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll try that! First Daughter needs gluten free, and I used to make my own cream-of-whatever. I need to get back to that!

      Delete