Thursday, March 14, 2013

Holly's Sweet Potato Souffle


OK, so the presentation isn't all that great - this is the remnant after taking two pans of sweet potatoes to our 42 Domino night. The recipe said this pan would serve 12, so two of them should serve 24 - and it did. We had eighteen players plus two visitors tonight, so I think the servings given is just about right.

There are many similar recipes online - I had one from AllRecipes.com, another that was a knock-off off Ruth's Chris that listed almost the same ingredients. Mine came through my daughter from her mother-in-law, so I'm not certain where its roots lie. But -- I would make it again. It was good.

Ingredients:

3 cups cooked and mashed sweet potatoes
1 cup dark brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 eggs, well beaten
1/2 cup butter, melted

Topping
1 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup flour
1 cup chopped pecans
1/3 cup butter, melted

Instructions:
  • It took three large (at least a pound a piece) sweet potatoes. I prefer baking them at 400 degrees for 50-60 minutes. Fork check for tenderness - they will need to be tender to mix well. Of course, canned, boiled or microwaved could be used - but I think baking brings better flavor. I actually baked  some extra sweet potatoes just to be certain I had enough when they were mashed. I can use them later in another recipe.
  • Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Prepare a 9x13 pan with Pam (or your favorite non-stick spray.)
  • Using the same order above, combine those first six items. I love using my KitchenAid with the beater that blends so well - any will do, but about five minutes will make a better mixture!
  • Pour into the prepared 9x13 pan and bake for 25 minutes.
  • Prepare the topping: brown sugar, flour, nuts and butter in mixing bowl.
  • Cover the sweet potatoes with the topping, covering all and making it even.
  • Return to the oven for an additional ten minutes to cook the topping and make it crunchy.
One perk was for Bob, our goat. He thought the sweet potato peels were a treat! Very little goes to waste around here. If you enjoy this recipe, please let me know.


No comments:

Post a Comment