Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Navy Beans Versatile

003
We love beans.  We fix a variety of beans and fix them different ways.  Most of the recipes don't work for us -- last one I read about Navy beans served twelve.  We are two.  While we do use leftovers quickly, we don't need to make enough for 12!  So, here's what worked for us, with leftovers for additional meals -- and what you can do to change it up:

Ingredients:

1/2 pound of dried navy beans
Salt to taste (we use less than most)
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 good squirts of ketchup (you can use more or less, to taste)
1 small squirt of regular mustard
1 teaspoon molasses (optional)

Directions:

I never remember to soak the beans over night, so it’s usually about noon when I think about fixing for supper.  I cover them with plenty of water, add a bit of salt (seasoned salt works well, too), bring them to a boil and let them cook for about 25 minutes, then soak for an hour or until I’m ready to cook.

Preheat oven to 300 degrees.

Pour off the water and mix all of the other ingredients together.  Put the bean mixture in a two-quart oven proof pan (I use my old standby Corning Ware) taking care that there is sufficient liquid to cover all the beans completely.

Bake for about two hours.  I know, that's not specific, but I keep an eye on it so it won't dry out.  Better to have a bit more liquid than to end up with yucky dry beans (even if they are sweet!). I check mine very 30 minutes and if they appear dry, I add a bit more water.

The molasses is a personal choice, not a necessity.  Sometimes we don’t have it on hand and will use a taste of our favorite BBQ sauce.

Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment