Monday, September 7, 2009

Quick Glazed Pork and Rice

I subscribe to Campbell Soup's e-mail recipes, which also got me on the Swanson Creative Cooking list. Beloved Husband and I both enjoy rice dishes. This one that is similar to one of our favorites, but just enough different to pique our taste buds.

This one can be varied, too, by using chicken breasts or thighs as well as pork chops. Changing the preserves, too, can whet taste buds. Use your favorite -- I think mine is the orange marmalade, but I can see trying it with jalapeno jelly for a bit of spicey sweetness. I doubt I could talk Beloved Husband into that one, though!

I hope you enjoy the variation you try -- let me know!!

From: Campbell's Kitchen
Prep: 5 minutes
Cook: 25 minutes
Serves: 4

Ingredients:

4 boneless pork chops, 3/4-inch thick each (about 1 pound) [or chicken breasts / thighs. Remember, thighs would sear more quickly]
3 cups Swanson® Chicken Stock
3/4 cup apricot preserves or orange marmalade [try your favorite - or jalapeno jelly]
1 tablespoon Dijon-style mustard
2 cups uncooked instant white rice

Directions:

Cook the pork in a 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until it's well browned on both sides. Remove the pork from the skillet.

Stir the stock, preserves and mustard in the skillet and heat to a boil. Reduce the heat to low. Stir in the rice. Return the pork to the skillet. Cover and cook for 10 minutes or until the pork is cooked through and the rice is tender.

Nutrition Information

Calories 494, Total Fat 7g, Saturated Fat 2g, Cholesterol 54mg, Sodium 532mg, Total Carbohydrate 79g, Dietary Fiber 1g, Protein 29g, Vitamin A 3%DV, Vitamin C 9%DV, Calcium 4%DV, Iron 24%DV

1 comment:

  1. The idea to give the bread slicers for Christmas is a very good one. I had not thought of that. Good idea!!

    ReplyDelete